C. H. Shawyer draper and milliner in 1900

In this photograph of 'London House' taken around 1905 we can see that the whole building was one business, not divided as it is today. The young man and woman standing in the doorway are likely Charles Shawyer Junior and his sister Emily, who both worked for their father in this shop, the left-hand side of which is now Deli di Luca.

Now the premises of Deli di Luca and Zebra Zebra (2018), in the 1900s this was one of two large drapery outlets owned and run by Charles Shawyer and his family, and at a time when the town boasted three different drapery businesses. This shop was more the ladies side of trade, selling dresses, coats and millinery, while Shawyer’s other shop which dealt with men’s outfitting, linen and cloth was on the south side of the road where Orvis is found today (2018) – still a gentleman’s outfitter.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *