The River Darent is born in Westerham, being created by a network of at least seven springs. At the west-end of town are two man-made ponds, created for water storage to feed Darenth mill at the east-end of town through a network of sluices which are long gone, but can be seen on the 1869 and 1896 maps. The first of these ponds is the Long Pond which lays alongside today's A25 opposite what was the General Wolfe pub. This pond was restored as the town's millenium project, but needs constant maintenance to keep it clear of reeds and willow. This pond feeds into the Round Pond sited at the side of today's Mill Lane, originally a path leading to Elm View mill, a stone building pulled down in the 1960s.