Dr Hay’s surgery was in Mill Leat on Vicarage Hill. But at that time it was not called Mill Leat, but Borde Hill. His daughter, Jean had a new house built on the other side of the road, and took the name of the old house with her. It is now the vicarage for St Mary’s ...
Clive Gardiner designed this advert in 1937 for the Green Line Coach Company. In an eye-catching naive but colourful style, it shows Elm View Mill beside the Round Pond in Mill Lane at the west-end of town. For more information, click here
The 1896 map shows much more development along the western end of what we know today as the High Street compared to that shown on the 1869 map. It is interesting to note that the only named road is ‘New Street’ where construction was begun in 1859