This photograph taken around 1900, shows George Sydney Herbert Bird, Ironmonger & Implement Agent standing proudly outside his shop next to the International Stores, to the left of the Kings Arms. For many years two ironmongery businesses were run from shops either side of the Kings Arms. Birds premises and the International Stores became ‘Chelsea House Furnishings’ in living memory and both sites are now occupied by Ruach Kitchens.
Edmund Dye lived at The Pheasantry where he ran his Ironmongery and smithing business until the late 1880’s, employing ten men and two boys. One of the ‘boys’ was John Sibley, apprenticed to Dye around 1881. By 1891 Dye had retired and Sibley took over the business at The Pheasantry, advertising '18 spacious showrooms' for furniture, general and domestic ironmongery. The address was Market Place, the title given to The Green up to the 1920s.