The 1/4th and 1/5th Battalions were both part of the Brigade of Royal West Kents who, alongside the 4th and 5th (Weald) Buffs East Kent Regiment of the Home Counties Division were sent to British India in late October 1914
On October 22nd 1914 the townsfolk witnessed the arrival of several hundred Territorial Army men from Preston Lancashire. These were the Royal Field Artillery from 57th (2nd West Lancs) Division who arrived marching up Vicarage Hill with their horses, guns, limbers and equipment to be billeted on several sites around the district. During the seven months ...
The West Lancashire Territorial Division had 3 Field Ambulance Units. Two were based in Liverpool, the 1st at Tramway Road, the 2nd at Harper Street, whilst the 3rd was located at St Helens. On mobilisation all were brought up to strength very quickly. The 1/2nd were sent to Kent to form part of the anti-invasion ...
The Horticultural Society was started in 1872. The fortieth Annual show, held in 1912 declared its exhibits ‘Open to professional gardeners’ but was careful to add the caveat ‘Confined to gardeners with not more than one assistant’ therefore keeping nurserymen away from the event
Fred Johnson was the owner of Wolfe garage from the mid-1950s to the mid-1960s. Here he is giving a few minor tweaks to Joe Jenner’s 1921 Sunbeam 24HP 4.5 litre saloon prior to a hire as a bridal car. This very car was recently sold at auction for £110,000…
Looking east towards town with Crown Hotel on the right opposite the Station. Notice the sign warning motorists they are approaching a School