Town Hall & High Street
This photograph, taken around 1908, shows the hall’s close proximity to the kerb-edge. When the road was ‘metallised’ in the 1920s, as much width as could be provided was used, hence it was not surprising that the porch canopy had to be removed along with the gas lamp on the other side of the road. The ‘pinch-point’ so often discussed with regard to today’s traffic density can be clearly seen with the start of the wall of the Manor House gardens. Note the ludicrously high telegraph pole!